Sunday, October 18, 2009

Rainy Days, Big Lazy Dogs and A Little Soap Box

Rain, rain, go away...  Woke up this morning to dreary gray skies, steady rain, and raw, chilly temperatures.  Seems like a good day to curl up somewhere comfortable with a mug of hot chocolate, and a good book! 
I guess Sunny has the right idea!   She's not supposed to be up on the sofa, but she looks so comfortable, I don't have the heart to shoo her off.  Thank goodness for slipcovers!


This morning I wanted to write a little about an Etsy team that I have just joined called Project Embrace.  This team started as an effort to support a fellow Etsian, Laura Slocum, who was diagnosed with stage 3 ovarian cancer.  It has since blossomed into a team that donates money earned by members from their Etsy sales to the American Cancer Society.  A very worthy cause.  And by the way, by all reports, Laura is doing well and is in remission!  Atta Girl, Laura!

Having lost several family members to this terrible disease, and suffered with it myself, I desperately want to support any efforts to eradicate it completely.  It seems that there is almost no person who has not been touched by it.  I have a guilty little confession to make:  when I see and hear all of the hype and hoopla surrounding October/Breast Cancer month, I feel a little disappointed.  There is no "month" for women with Ovarian, Endometrial, Cervical, etc., etc. cancers, even though women are getting them, and dying from them just the same.  I have a feeling that one reason might be that the surgeries for these kinds of cancer don't alter the outward appearance in the way that breast cancer does.  After all, when I had my "girly parts" removed, I didn't look any different, except for the scar on my belly.  It seems to me that all cancers are devastating.  No one wants to hear their doctor say those words, and I think that we all fear it.  The good news is that more and more people are surviving and winning the fight against it.  Please think about donating something to the American Cancer Society, Stand Up To Cancer, Gilda's Club, or some other support group.  We're all in the same boat here, we sink or swim together.    

3 comments:

  1. This a beautiful blog, Sue..and an important and supportive post. All of us, as you say, are in this together, whether survivors ourselves or supporters of others. Congrats on the one year..and counting!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much, Ginny. And welcome aboard!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Loved the blog! I like your Swedish Proverb too. I didn't notice it before. I have to start seeing more :)

    ReplyDelete